Friday, January 18, 2013

Numbers

Yesterday, I had to get on the scale so we could get a "starting weight."

I really, really hate getting on a scale. Honestly, most women don't appreciate them very much.  I mean, seriously, who was the sick and twisted person (probably a man) that invented the home scale? Do we need it? What purpose does it serve, other than driving women all over the world completely crazy? Or is it just me?

The smart part of my brain knows that scales are not the problem, but the slightly cracked part of me (which wins the fight to the surface sometimes) would just LOVE to take a sledgehammer to the one in my house.

So, when I was weighed yesterday, I was very torn.  On one hand, I didn't want to know what the scale said (that was the smart part of me).  On the other (slightly cracked) hand, there was this nagging need to know.

Because it's all about the number, right?

Numbers are everywhere:

24 hours in a day
52 weeks in a year
3.1 miles in a 5k (see, two numbers in that one)

I get all wrapped up in the number that the scale says, because society says that if you weight a certain amount, then you are acceptable.  And, of course, my number is over that right now.  I am about 5'1", and I weigh in at around 134lbs. Which, if you calculate my BMI, that makes me "overweight." Normal BMI is 18.5-24.9.  Mine is 25.32.  Now, I understand that I have out on a lot of muscle in the last six or so months.  I also know that muscle weights more than fat, but still. . .

But then today I was trolling aroung on FB (go figure), and I saw this:

Why Your Scale Can't Be Trusted

While I'm not a fan of the suggested fat measurement methods, I love what the author has to say about the two very fit and healthy fitness models being about 10 pounds over what everyone perceives them to be.  I know that it makes no sense, but it makes me feel a bit better. It makes me realize that the scale lies, but the mirror doesn't.  The way I feel doesn't lie, either.

And I feel strong. :)

Today's Workout

Abs
Hanging Leg Raises*
4 sets - 25 reps
Sit Ups*
4 sets - 25 reps

Arms
Standing Barbell Curls with light bar*
Set 1 - 20 reps @ bar + 10lbs
Set 2 - 20 reps @ bar + 10lbs
Set 3 - 20 reps @ bar + 20lbs
Set 4 - 20 reps @ bar + 20lbs

Cable Tricep Pressdowns*
Set 1 - 20 reps @ 50lbs
Set 2 - 20 reps @ 50lbs
Set 3 - 20 reps @ 60lbs
Set 4 - 20 reps @ 60lbs



Hammer Curls Across the Body*
Set 1 - 12 reps @ 10lb DB
Set 2 - 12 reps @ 15lb DB
Set 3 - 12 reps @ 20lb DB

Tricep Dips*
3 sets to failure



Rope Tricep Pressdowns*
3 sets - 20 reps @ 40lbs

Cable Machine Bicep Curls*
3 sets - 20 reps @ 40lbs

Behind the Neck Rope Tricep Extensions*
3 sets - 20 reps @ 40lbs


Shoulders
Standing Barbell Shoulder Press with Light Bar
5 sets - 20 reps with bar only

Standing DB Presses & Lateral Raises (back to back - no rest)
3 sets - 10, 8, 6, 4 reps each @ 8 lb DB (which by this point felt like 100lbs)

*Superset

No comments:

Post a Comment